Wednesday, May 27, 2009

They wanna what?!!!?!!!!

I just checked out my Google newspage under my screename(I have two, one under my real name and one under my screenname. I may eventually delete the one under my real name once I bring all the features from that one over to the other.) and found out, that they might be making a Buffy movie, only Joss Whedon won't be involved. I don't understand how that could be...Didn't he create the character? His name is so closely associated with Buffy, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it and doing it well. Plus, he has certain trademarks that are uniquely his (We wouldn't get the Mutant Enemy Grr Argh thing at the end of the movie, either. Corny as it sounds, I love that little thing. I smile almost every time I see it. Same thing with Bad Robot.)



To some degree, I can understand how some of the more serious fans of TOS felt about Star Trek. I was/am a huge BtVS and Angel fan. (I think I've said that in different posts here. I'm not sure.) I associated the actors with the characters they portrayed and they all did a fantastic job. I've even met some of them at a con (Moonlight Rising I think it was). With as much time that's passed, I can't imagine all of them would want to return to their roles, even if they could.



I read some of the comments at the EW.com website and there are a couple of ideas that helped make this idea a bit easier to accept. Thinking of the movie as a form of fanfiction for example. All fanfiction is not a part of cannon, right? Some of it, the authors themselves even identify as AU. [Speaking of AU, I wish they hadn't killed off Kendra (I think she and Xander would've worked.). but without Kendra being killed, we wouldn't have gotten Faith and I enjoyed her character too.] I believe the AU idea, is part of why the Star Trek reboot worked so well, and made it easier to accept for a lot of people. Those that didn't...Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time. And like fanfiction, if you don't want to read the fic, you don't have to.

Another idea that I saw that would make a new BtVS movie more acceptable, would be to have it be about one of the new slayers. Which would certainly work given the events of BtVS season 7 ( I didn't really love Seasons 6 and 7, but I was so emotionally invested in the characters, that I couldn't imagine not watching the series until it's end. ) I would also enjoy it (if the script is well-written and doing so makes sense) having someone from the TV series in the movie as their character, if it's not too ridiculous and far-fetched (Xander would work. I don't like Andrew. If I think about it some more, I could probably come up with some other characters that would work.)

Something else that hadn't even occurred to me, that was also pointed out in the comments on this at EW.com, was that they're only doing this to cash in on the vampire trend that the movie version of Twilight started. That idea sickens me, but it doesn't surprise me, especially when one considers the fact that the WB has a show called The Vampire Diaries lined up (That series is also based on a series of books, from what I understand. These I've never read. I love vampire novels, but only if they're well-written. If they're not, I don't waste my time. The same goes for vampire movies [for movies, it also helps a lot if they actors know what they're doing. You can have the best script in the world, but if the actors don't know what they're doing, or the casting is just wrong, it becomes a joke.]. )

I'm leaning towards boycott, unless I see or read something that makes me change my mind. I gave Star Trek the benefit of the doubt and I'm far from sorry (I love them both for different reasons.). So for right now (although I was very unhappy to hear the news) , I've got a wait and see attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment