Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek

I loved it. It's a bit difficult to talk about it without revealing spoilers.

I didn't know Karl Urban was in it. I remember him from such TV shows as Hercules and Xena and movies such as Ghost Ship and The Chronicles of Riddick. He did a wonderful job as McCoy. I didn't watch much of the original series (I usually catch as many of them as I can, when someone is doing a marathon), but I knew right off, exactly who his character was.

Chris Pine...I don't know much about him, he did a better job as James T. Kirk than I thought he would. I could also kind of see a resemblance between him and William Shatner. (Maybe the photo of him that I initially saw, wasn't the best one to go buy.)

I think that Zachary Quinto [ I looked on Imdb and his height is listed as 6'4". That can't be right, can it? If so... My! What a tall drink! :)] did an excellent job. When he takes on a new character, you believe he is that character. I love actors who can do that.

Zoe Saldana...I wish she'd have gotten to participate in the action a bit more. This is 2009 after all.

I hardly recognized Simon Pegg. I don't what that little thing was at the outpost with him, but it knocked me for a loop (in a good way).

I also didn't know Winona Ryder was in the movie. I just kept looking at Spock's mom's face, thinking I know I've seen her somewhere before. When the credits were rolling I could have kicked myself.

The same thing happened with Ben Cross (I mostly remember him from that new version of Dark Shadows that NBC had briefly).

Some of the nods were a bit over the top, but I enjoyed them nonetheless.

I got a bit misty-eyed at that beginning sequence, but I didn't let one tear fall. (What woman wants to be teased for that? Not me.) I felt for Spock in this movie, I really did. A pairing also came out of this that I didn't see coming. (That knocked me for a loop in a pleasant way as well. I'd like to watch some old episodes of the original series, and see if I can figure out what prompted them to do that.)

They also stated in the film, that Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestor, I had always wondered that. Now I know. (This is probably old news, or pretty obvious to a hard-core trekkie/trekker.)

Overall, I think my mother would have gotten a kick out of it. Star Trek and Star Trek:TNG were another one of the shows that we would watch together.

I've seen mixed reviews/blog entries. Most seem to have enjoyed the movie. I went to IO9 I think it was and there was a cannon vs. non-cannon debate going on in the comments. Again I say, to each his own. Everybody is not going to want the same thing. I'm not going to go off on somebody just because they don't share my taste(s), because I wouldn't want it done to me.

Can't wait to see the fanfics that come out of this. I don't write them, but I love to read well-written ones.

It's a few hours after my initial post and I think I'm going to give it a week or two and check back at Fanfiction.net or Google some terms. The reason I say this is because right now, all the fics up at Fanfiction.net appear to have been written by people, who have never heard of spell check or grammar. If English is your second language, I'll lighten up a bit. If not, you're not going to instill the greatest confidence in what you have to offer, if your summary has enough grammatical and spelling errors that would make even the Tasmanian Devil cringe.

With all this time travel stuff popping up, first on Lost, then in the Star Trek movie. I'm getting interesting in time travel theory (They even had a program about it on the History channel.). I think this kind of stuff falls under Physics or Quantum Physics. I wonder if that Dummies or Idiots series has anything on Physics or Quantum Physics. I'll start from there and work my way up I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment