Monday, May 18, 2009

How Bruce Lee changed the world

I caught this program on the History Channel last night. As dumb as it sounds, I expected a little more from it, so I was somewhat disappointed. I remember my younger sister telling me she had seen some film about Bruce Lee that said he was a good dancer. It gave us the biggest tickle for some reason, but if we'd have thought about it, and considered the fluidity of his movements, it would have made complete sense to us at the time. If they think his impact on us was this far reaching having not been chosen as Kwai Chang Caine, imagine how much of an impact he'd have had if he was. (To this day, it's hard for me to see David Carradine in anything without thinking about this.)

Also as dumb as this sounds, until I heard that story where this dude assumed Bruce Lee was actually a chauffer, just because he was dressed like one (on the set of The Green Hornet during his Kato days). I never realized white men also called Asian men (only in uniform?) "Boy" during that era in addition to Black men. If I feel angry and insulted at hearing it, I can only imagine how they must have felt and in some places still feel. (I'm not going to let Obama being in the White House lull me into a false sense of security. We've come far, but we've still got a ways to go as far as people treating each other like people. )

No comments:

Post a Comment