Friday, April 9, 2010

Vampire Diaries Book vs. Series...

Lately I've started to get into the Vampire Diaries. I'm also an Ian Somerhalder fan, so I was going to give it a shot right out of the box. I enjoy the TV series so much, I said "Hey! Why not try the books?" Once I did that, I found a few surprises. First, Elena is a blonde in the book. I'm glad they made her a brunette on TV. Blondes need to let brunettes take a turn in center stage. Bonnie is a red-headed white girl in the book...Again, I like the fact they went in a different direction as far as casting went on the TV show and decided to make the character African-American. Stefan and Damon...in the book they're twins...I'm glad they didn't do that here...Maybe they decided it was too cheesy to fly on camera? With the right actor that's a concept that could work, but it takes such a huge leap of faith...Another thing I've noticed about the book version of the series (so far I've only read the first one. I want to read them in order. It's also just come to my attention that there's a second set of books.), is that Elena is in a love triangle with the two brothers. You never get that impression on the series. She is very sure of which Salvatore brother she prefers. In this respect, I prefer the book...maybe they thought it would get stale too quick? Or that it's been done to death? Or maybe something changes as the series develops and I just need to be patient...not sure, but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Speaking of which, I can't wait until Season 3 of True Blood starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment