Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson tribute weekend...

All weekend, Vh-1 and MTV played Michael Jackson videos. But they just kept playing the same ones over and over again, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Rock With You, Bad, Who is it?, Man in the Mirror, Another Part of Me, Beat It, Billie Jean, Leave Me Alone, Scream and Thriller. Every now and again they'd show something you didn't see a whole lot, like Earth Song (I love that video. You can tell that he really meant what he was singing. It made me kind of sad, even when Michael was still alive.). There was another video that I had never seen before, that I wanted them to play again, but they never did. I don't even know the title of the song (ballad), but I can describe the video...Michael Jackson is singing and walking down the street in this black duster/ or trench coat, and at some point, it begins to rain. [8/26/2009 Found out this "Stranger in Moscow"]

I couldn't figure out if a program director was behind the same videos being shown all over again, or maybe there was some legal reason why they couldn't air more of a variety of videos. You know what would have been nice? If they had let people call in to make requests. I would have given Michael Jackson such a send off...I'd have aired some of the Jackson Five cartoons, Michael Jackson's apperance on Free to be You and Me, episodes from the Jacksons variety show, The Can You Feel It? video, Ghosts, The Wiz, Moonwalker...

TV Land even aired that TV movie, The Jacksons: An American Dream. There was a tribute to Michael at the BET awards, but I didn't see it yet.

One of the Vh-1's did a Jacksons block of videos. They showed 2300 Jackson Street. It's funny, my dad used to do this little take off, where he'd sing about his dad's house and he called it ...(Caught myself just in time, if I tell you what he called it, I'll give myself away...That wouldn't be too smart...Let's just say he plugged in his dad's address to the same tune and leave it at that.)
What's even more bizarre, is when he was stationed back in Long Beach, CA back in 1970 or 1971...I've got to check that little round plaquard my dad has...Guess who he played a game of basketball with? And never even knew it until after the fact. Michael wasn't there, but the older boys were...Jackie, Tito, Jermaine... And I'm betting even if he did know, being the type of man he is, he wouldn't have treated them any different than he did. Part of me really wishes I could have seen that...

Motown 25...My parents woke my sister and I up to see Michael Jackson, to have excited them enough to have them wake us up?...That's a force to be reckoned with...

Michael Jackson didn't even make it to his 51st birthday. The holidays are going to be extremely tough too. My heart definitely goes out to his family, especially Janet (from Good Times on, I was always a fan of hers too).


p.s. BET did their 4 hour long block of music videos on July 5th. I had never seen the video to "You Rock My World" before. I sort of wished it actually was a longer film. I also found out the name to the video, that I didn't know the name of. I tried "Ask Yahoo!", but that didn't work. Maybe I should have tried a Michael Jackson fansite and asked there, but I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be greeted with the attitude that a real fan would have known, or whether they would have been more welcoming...or maybe it depends on the website. I have some bad experiences at fan forums before, so I kind of hesitate when contemplating joining one. I enjoyed what they did with the BET Awards this year too, for short notice, that was good. You know what I wish I could do? If I had the money and the resources on August 29, I wish I could air all that stuff I mentioned above that no one showed [You Tube only gets you so far and I'm tired of waiting on the TV stations. What can I say? Patience is not one of my strong suits. ;) ].

pps. Why won't closed captioning work on BET? That's really annoying when you're trying to learn song lyrics. }:(

No comments:

Post a Comment