Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes is gone...

Just heard this last night...Didn't feel like rushing to the computer, especially when almost everyone is saying the same thing. :(



Another big part of my life in the 80's gone... :( I know death is a part of life, but that doesn't make it easy...



My favorite John Hughes film, I'd have to say, is The Breakfast Club. I knew or knew of people that were like each of the kids in detention...I was probably most like the Ally Sheedy character minus all the lying. Coming in at a close second is Weird Science (who hasn't fantasized about doing what these guys do? I'd like to turn it around of course, but you get the picture. ;) ). I liked Pretty in Pink (Although, I did not like that final look for Annie Potts's character, even when it wasn't seriously dated. There's a way to have a woman dress her age without making her look dull or matronly. I wish more directors/writers/costumers, etc. realized this. I guess the older I get, the more this is going to be a pet peeve of mine.). I also liked Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Had I skipped class before? Hell yes! Our day wasn't nearly as much fun as theirs was though. We hung out at the mall. Ferris cut up at a parade. Absolutely no contest. I think John Hughes also did Some Kind of Wonderful. I never saw Sixteen Candles or Planes, Trains and Automobiles (a co-worker recommended the latter...I think I'll give them both a shot.). I remember paying to see Home Alone...I don't remember why, as it's not my usual type of thing...I'm thinking it was probably one of those rare occasions when we went to the movies as a family.

Msn.com has a really nice tribute to John Hughes up to the tune of the The Who's Baba O' Reily. I don't know who put it together, but I laughed in all the right places. I'm sure if I looked around at YouTube, a lot of other cool tributes would pop up too. That's one of the things I love about the internet. So many cool people from all over sharing their ideas in the blink of an eye...

No comments:

Post a Comment