Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Memorial Service for Michael Jackson yesterday...

I have don't ever remember seeing anything like that for anyone before...

What had me puzzled was just about every news broadcaster commented on how dignified and classy the service was. What were they expecting? Remarks like that speak volumes all by themselves. It'd be so nice, if people would actually think before they speak. :)

The speakers...Al Sharpton...Brooke Shields... I didn't get to catch the whole service, because I was at work, and I couldn't see the TV in the back from my desk. I had the service on the computer in another window while I was working, but it kept cutting off and on. I was thankful to see any pictures and audio though since I couldn't be there in person. Before I logged on, I was afraid so many people in different places would be trying to watch it at the same time, that the site would crash entirely, but it didn't. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out how many of my co-workers/cubicle neighbors had it on as well.

The performances...Usher, Jennifer Hudson, Stevie Wonder and when Jermaine Jackson took the stage...not only was I glad to see him sing, but I he struggled to hold it together, but he succeeded...I can only imagine how hard that was to do...

I was watching with my co-workers for a while, but I found it hard to hold it together after a bit, so I spent most of the service in my cubicle. (I can't be mad at Diana Ross or Elizabeth Taylor, not in the least bit. I'm not even still angry at my oldest cousin for not coming to my mother's funeral anymore. Everybody grieves differently...)

Another thing that blew my mind was the footage of so many people in so many different locations, not just in the U.S., but everywhere...I guess I'd temporarily forgotten how huge of an impact Michael Jackson made on the world. I don't know very many entertainers of color that you can say that about, let alone an entertainer period. I'm not talking about someone who's just known. I'm talking about someone that can elicit that type of an emotional outpouring from people. I've never seen that before...not ever, and I don't think I ever will...

No comments:

Post a Comment