Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gary Coleman

Please forgive me for the lateness of this post, but I didn't have in my head exactly what I wanted to say about Mr. Coleman and then today a strange thing happened...
I was doing an image search for Jackson Five cartoons, when I came across a misplaced image of Gary Coleman's cartoon(Google where are your African-American researchers? Do you need me? Because if the price is right...This is like the second time I've caught a misplaced image of an African American in Google Images. What do we all still look alike to you? I'd rant about this further, but that's a whole other post and then some. )...I used to watch his cartoon show on Saturday mornings in the 80's...I can't remember if it came on before or around the time of Mr. T's cartoon or not...I forgot all about Gary Coleman's cartoon. :( Which all things considered makes me feel bad. If I remember right, he played an angel and he had senior angel supervising him or something like that...It's been so long...I didn't want to wiki or Google to fill in the bits I'm foggy on, this time, I'm going from sheer memory.
I do remember him from Diff'rnt Strokes but that's a little obvious. So, I chose not to highlight that. I do have a favorite episode though. The one where Arnold and Willis find the tape with their mother's voice on it. Beyond that I'd have to think...
I remember Gary Coleman's appearance in Simpsons Episode "Grift of the Magi". That line "Whatcha talkin 'bout everyone." had me and my sister in stitches. I smile just now thinking about it. I know it was a long time before he was even comfortable revisiting his catchphrase, because he wanted so badly to move beyond it.
I'm saddened by his passing...One more person who I grew up watching gone...It's an odd feeling...


No comments:

Post a Comment