Saturday, September 12, 2009

Promo for Janet Jackson's performance @ the VMA's tomorrow

I'm looking forward to this so much, that I'm putting off seeing True Blood tomorrow. (This is saying a lot if you know what a True Blood fanatic I am.) Something one of the people on the street being interviewed in one of the commercials on MTv promoting Janet's appearance on this year's VMA's disturbed me though. The person said they wanted to see her do, what Michael did. My thought on that, is didn't we already see that in the Scream video? (It's one of my favorites too.) Isn't the person doing her a disservice by saying that? I always loved (and still love) Janet in her own right. It's funny, I was going through some stuff yesterday that I had at my dad's apartment, and I found a box of old magazines. I had a lot of Essence and Ebony mags that featured Janet Jackson on the cover that I'd forgotten about. I was glad to see them again. (I'll be getting slip covers for them ASAP.) I've watched her as Penny on Good Times, as Charlene on Different Strokes, and as Cleo on the Fame TV series ( in our area, it used to come on after Soul Train back in the 80's). I enjoyed her in Poetic Justice and Why Did I Get Married? I enjoy her music (I know she can't see like Jennifer Hudson, but I appreciate what both have to offer.). I guess what bothered me enough to post about what I saw in the commercial, is that I feel like some people only see performer and not woman who recently lost her brother (I lost my mother 2 years ago, and I'm still so far from over it, that it's not even funny.) I feel as though fans, no matter who they're fans of, should always be mindful that the people we admire/enjoy watching (or both) are just that, people. I may have blogged about this a little before, and I'm sorry, but it's something I've really given quite a bit of thought to lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment