Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pirates 4 is looking iffier all the time...

I just read on my Google Entertainment page that Gore Verbinski is not going to do Pirates 4.
I was surprised that Johnny Depp wanted to do another one. Yeah, I know they left the ending open for it, but just because he can, doesn't mean he should (and me saying that takes a lot, because I am a huge Johnny Depp fan). I would hate for the 4th film to be garbage. Depending on who is stepping up to direct Pirates 4, if it ever happens, I don't know that I'll go to theatre to watch it. I may just wait for it to come out on DVD or Blu-Ray or whatever. Movie sequels that go past 3 make me nervous, because for the life of me I can't think of one example that you don't look back at/on later and either laugh or cringe. (Critical acclaim I'm leaving out, because some of them write nasty reviews just to be nasty. I think that's messed up.) I can think of a lot of films in a series that went past 3 that turned into jokes though, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, the Child's Play series. Horror movie franchises aren't the only movie genre to suffer from this either, it happens with fantasy/sci-fi stuff too. I think some of the Star Trek movies were a bit much (Which one was the one with the whales? and Naked Uhura as a distraction? That was just insane ). The Superman movies with Christopher Reeve 1 and 2 were good. 3 and 4? Not so much.

Maybe I'll be wrong (and this is definitely one of those cases where I want to be proven wrong.), and Pirates 4 will be the exception to the rule. One can only hope (and pray).

No comments:

Post a Comment