Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kurt Cobain

I just remembered something and now I'm confused. Yesterday, I was on Twitter and I read a note Jeri Smith-Ready had posted. So, I go over to Wikipedia just now (Yeah, I know shame on me. But the thing about using wikipedia at all, is that you have to remember it's not a reliable source and don't let it be your only source. ), and they have Kurt Cobain's death down as April 5, 1994. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about his death on April 7, 1994. However, Wikipedia says his body wasn't discovered until the 8th of April.

I'm not saying my memory is infallible or anything like that, but I'd love to compare notes with somebody and find out if I'm just tripping or this is just another case of wikipedia being wrong.

I remember what I was doing the day I heard about Kurt's death and everything. I was at work (at one of the college libraries, where I was a student) and one of my co-workers had called our supervisor, and she was in tears telling him what had happened. I was sad and I remember I drew his portrait. Depending on how things go in the next few months, maybe I'll scan some of my artwork and put it up here or create another blog just for that. Who knows?
I remember thinking (and I still think) what a loss it was. I enjoyed Nirvana's music a lot, but I don't think I really had a whole favorite album with them. I liked different songs from each album though. I like that they did stuff like The Priest They Called Him. I think I still have the CD somewhere...I wish I knew where. I also liked looking at Kurt's collages and whatnot. They were weird, but they were interesting. (If art is going to be weird, I'm sorry, but I'd like it to at least be interesting. Like Frida Kahlo's stuff for example, it's strange but it tells a story. You just have to know how to interpret it.) I think he had a lot of potential that he never got the chance to fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment