Friday, September 17, 2010

Vampire Diaries Ep Brave New World Does contain spoilers

Carter-- Damn! Damn! Damn! It's like Season 2 of True Blood all over again, only this has been condensed into 1 hour. It makes it no less painful though. Too bad Bonnie couldn't singe Caroline. }:( [Incidentally, the actor that played this character B.J. Britt, also played in Vampires Suck. Gotta love the irony.]

Bonnie--She must really love Elena and have amazing self-control is all I can say. I would love for her to catch a break though...First her Grams gets taken from her, then her potential boyfriend? I'd be more than a little PO'd myself.

Nurse Haynes --Poor baby, but at least she got to live.

Stefan--Why didn't he just intercept Carter? That didn't have to turn out the way it did?

Damon --Where do I even begin?

Katherine--Was she watching from the shadows?

Tyler and Mason--They seem more like Twilight than True Blood weres to me, but it's too soon to tell...

Mayor Lockwood--Wonder what she'll do when she finds out the truth about Damon?

Jeremy--I like what he did, but for some reason I think it's going to turn around and bite him (absolutely no pun intended).

That revelation that a werewolf bite can kill a vampire...I don't think that was an accident. The only question is which one will go? I think I have an idea, but I don't want to inadvertently give up a spoiler...

Elena --she easily could have let Bonnie fry Damon. She has many reasons to hate him and very few to protect him, besides possibly not wanting to hurt Stefan. Why did she intervene?

I also feel that a class and race commentary was being played out somewhat with Caroline preying on Nurse Haynes and Damon setting up Carter for his fall. Nurse Haynes was spared/got a reprieve...So why does the Black male get taken out? Aggression and manipulation play a part here, just like with Eggs on True Blood. As on True Blood there are also not very many multi-ethnic characters...That's why I loved that first Blade movie so much. The vampires were all colors shapes and sizes. Think about it, every culture has vampire myths, right? I think the vampires released from the tomb kind of took care of this on TVD for a while, but then most of them were destroyed...I'm going to give this a bit more time before I quit watching altogether (It'll be hard, because I love this genre so much. And yes, I've tried L.A. Banks and Seressia Glass' books.). I know one thing this episode did give me plenty of was food for thought.

Caroline--Her transformation...I like how they captured the fear and confusion and then I like how she dealt with Damon when she got her memories back. I like the way they don't romanticize the transformation here...The analogy I would have compared it to, particulary with some of Stefan's story arc last season would be addiction (again, not very hard to see and I think it's something of a cliche in this genre...There was a vampire movie actually titled The Addiction too. )

Matt--He was sort of like a puppy last night...It was sweet and kind of cringeworthy at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment