Thursday, March 12, 2009

My budding fascination with J-Horror

I have a friend who's sort of helping to nurture this along. Although I have to confess, my fascination with J-horror started with watching The Ring. I heard it was based on a book by Koji Suzuki, so I read it. It's a trilogy. I haven't read the last one yet. Then I also wanted to see the original Japanse version. When The Grudge came out, I went to see Ju-On as well. Then, I stumbled across a fanfiction writer who's also into J-horror. We exchange e-mails now and again and she also posts recs in her author's notes. Anyhoo, she recommended this site that accepts donations, but basically lets people enjoy a wide variety of J-horror films for free. I look up the URL, and post it here, because right now, I don't have it on hand. My friend recommended a J-horror film called Rattle Rattle ( Picture a ghost woman that combines the creepiest things about the zombies in an Evil Dead movie and combine that with Kayako from Ju-On, only imagine her making a clicking or rattling sound instead of that croak, and go from there. It's a short film, but if any of what I just described creeps you out, watch at your own risk.).
What I'd really love to see is the original of One Missed Call. The American version was some garbage. If a horror movie that should be scary just makes you laugh, that is a bad sign. The ending just left me going... WTF?
Something else that's also funny, I left a line or two about Rattle Rattle movie on Twitter and I guess I wasn't talking about J-horror films consistently enough for my one follower, because they quit on me. I felt as though I'd let them and myself down. It's hard enough for me to work for 8 hours, deal with whatever chores I have to do at home, and still find the time to blog and watch and review a J-horror movie on weeknights though. That's kind of a tall order. Not to mention the fact that Lost is like in mid-season right now. Then, on weekends I'm trying to cram in the other gazillion things I can never manage to do on weeknights, like getting back to my drawing and painting. There truly just aren't enough hours in the day. I'm vowing to get better with Twittering and updating at least two of my blogs. I'm thinking about dropping the MySpace one. I haven't decided yet. I'm also on LiveJournal, but I'm under another name. It's not only a somewhat movie/character themed username, but it's also a bad pun. So, if you don't know already, use movie/character themed usernames at your own risk, because if you don't choose wisely, they definitely turn around to bite you.

No comments:

Post a Comment