Friday, January 20, 2012

Etta James (Jan. 25, 1938 - Jan. 20, 2012)

I kind of expected this, as I kept hearing off and on that Ms. James was ill. 
She's another singer I regret not having had the opportunity to experience live.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I only read Rage to Survive: The Etta James Story by David Ritz and Etta James after having seen Cadillac Records.  That's usually what happens with me though...a biopic or something makes me investigate further...
Kind of like how I first got exposed to Etta James' music...
I do remember hearing "At Last" first...I think I heard a portion of it in a commercial...to this day, I couldn't tell you what was being advertised whether it was a fragrance or even what the fragrance or makeup was, but I made it my business to find out who was singing the song. lol
Then sometime later, there was a movie I was watching on cable...Eve's Bayou...and I heard "Sunday Kind of Love"...That was what made me break down and buy The Essential Etta James.  So, by the time Cadillac Records came out, I was familiar with her music, but not really any of her personal struggles...I guess that's what made me check to see if she'd written an autobiography...I just really enjoy hearing people tell about themselves in their own words.  It's even better, if it's done in such a way where their voice doesn't get lost in the telling.  R.I.P Etta James. 

No comments:

Post a Comment