Saturday, October 8, 2011

My thoughts on Supernatural Seas. 7, Ep 3 Girl Next Door (Contains Spoilers!)

First off, I want to say that Jensen Ackles did a wonderful job directing.  I think what I'd like to do sometime today is look at both eps he directed back to back and see if I can pick up any signature stuff.   I love doing stuff like that.  I enjoyed how we got to see stuff from Dean's point of view for a little bit when he was on the morphine for his leg.

Bobby -  I knew he wasn't dead, mainly because of spoilers.  There has been some speculation that perhaps he was Leviathan!Bobby.  I really hope not.  :(   Time will tell.

Dean -  The scene where Dean was trying to get out of the hospital bed on his own cracked me up.  Where he thought he was going, esp. without crutches, I don't even know.   I was worried for a while that he would get left behind at the hospital.  I was relieved when he made it to the ambulance Bobby comandeered [How Bobby managed that, I'll never know, but that was Badass.] The part where he was watching the telenovelas cracked me up too.  [I'd really love to know what started him watching that kind of thing. ]  His sawing the cast off after three weeks also cracked me up. [I wish I had Winchester healing power.  Really.]   I do not hate Dean.  I kind of feel like some stuff he did last night was like taking two steps forward and then two back though.   Dean socking Sam when he came back from confronting Amy...Ok, Dean couldn't have known that she knocked Sam down too, and I get that he wasn't thrilled with Sam taking off with the Impala and just leaving a note, but if Sam's still hallucinating and he had a concussion 3 weeks ago, is knocking the sh*t out of  him smart?   I know they've hit each other before, but still... I just wasn't happy about that.  I also thought Dean calling Amy a freak was unnecessary, especially when he knows how words like freak and monster make Sam feel.  Maybe he felt like it was Ruby 2.0 revisited...I know once trust is lost...it's depending on what's happened, it can be very difficult to find again, but still...
As far as Dean killing Amy goes...It reminded me of the part in Kill Bill Vol. 1 where Vernita Green's little girl walks in and sees what Beatrix [Beatrice?] has done.  I don't know how to feel about this...I do believe Amy or the boy would possibly have killed again.  But if he would have killed the boy too...I'd be even more conflicted...And then who was the boy saying he could go to?  They better hope it's not one of the Leviathan or else this is going to totally turn around and bite The Winchesters and possibly Bobby too.  [ No pun intended.]


Sam - The scars on Sam's hand and the fact that he's still having the hallucinations, make me wonder why Dean thought it was ok to send him to the store, but not ok for Sam to work a case on his own.
The cake and pie thing...  I don't think Sam meant to be insensitive when it came to that.  Maybe the store didn't have pie.   Maybe the pie in the store looked nasty.  Maybe Sam's one of those people that thinks all sweets are the same.  Or maybe he doesn't like sweets at all and so would probably never get that cake is not pie.  We'll probably never know,  but I don't think he deliberately brought cake back to mess with Dean.
Sam thinking of himself as a "freak" ...  That messes with me so bad.  I won't bore you with all the reasons why here, but I just...it's painful to watch and I mean that in a good way, if it's even possible to say such a thing.  
Colin Ford did an amazing job as always playing Young Sam.  That scene where Amy shoots Sam down at first when he's trying to talk to her...I was just like Wow! I loved seeing him back.  Also, that line about 8 years...Was there some significance to that particular number?   [I know way to read too much into sh*t, right?]



Easter eggs - When Dean dozes off in front of the TV  they give a nod to My Bloody Valentine in 3D.  

Amy Pond the alias Amy uses is from Doctor Who.  She is a friend to the 11th doctor.

The rock aliases:    Lemmy Kilmister [Motorhead] and Lars Ulrich [Metallica of course]

Unpopular opinion:  Ok, so far as I know Kitsune are Japanese in origin.  Casting a Japanese actress or Japanese American actress would have made more sense to me here.  I'm all for open casting and all, but this was a bit of a stretch, even for me.  When a particular figure from folklore is unique to a region...I feel like it's important to retain some aspect of the culture.  The actresses playing Amy did excellent jobs, I still stand by my opinion though.















No comments:

Post a Comment