Friday, December 17, 2010

The Council of Conservative Christians and the uproar over Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall in Thor

I've been seeing stuff about this off and on all week.   It's funny, Denzel Washington was cast as Don Pedro in Much Ado About Nothing, and I don't recall people acting a fool, but a character in Shakespeare is not a deity.   Non traditional casting seems to be more accepted in theatre, than it is in film, Hollywood in particular...I'm thinking maybe it's because no one has really knocked it out of the park yet [at least as far as having both the performance and box office to back it up].  I'd like to see someone succeed at it in my lifetime.  I know a few weeks or maybe even months ago, Toure' was having a discussion on Twitter about what Black actor would make a good James Bond.  Idris Elba's name came up [I'd be flabbergasted and really angry if it didn't.].  I would love to see that.  But again, James Bond is  another fictional character, not a deity.  And I know we're not talking Jesus, Buddha, or Muhammed here, but still... debates that have anything at all to do with religion, culture, race, and/or politics have a tendency to get very heated, very fast.  Whether it's so called intellectuals getting together [Watch a talking heads show like Face the Nation and see what I'm talking about if you don't believe me.] or it's common folk talking wherever. 

I'm glad to see debates being sparked...I wonder if this will help or hurt the box office for Thor.  I'll definitely be watching to see what happens.  I love comic books/graphic novels and have since I was a kid.  To me [and probably countless others], to have Idris Elba involved with this film is a bonus. 

Racialicious also has a blog post up about the whole Council of Conservative Citizens thing.  I'm imagining this will be debated about all the way up until it's release in May 6, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment