Friday, January 21, 2011

Yet another blog post on biopics

This post was prompted by the recent headlines about Halle Berry playing (and then not playing) Aretha Franklin.  I couldn't see that, so I'm glad they didn't do it.  I love Halle, but some roles, she's just not the right one for period.  A lot of names have been tossed around on Twitter for playing Aretha...I've seen everyone from Jennifer Hudson to Taraji P. Henson mentioned.  I loved Toure's suggestion of Queen Latifah.  He also brought up the fact that the actress doesn't necessarily have to be able to sing to be able to play Aretha Franklin...This is true...although I'd prefer an actress that could sing to one that couldn't.  As far as the weight thing...Aretha Franklin has been different sizes at different ages...Beyonce wasn't/isn't the spitting image of Etta James either, but somehow they made that work in Cadillac Records.    I wouldn't even mind if they chose an unknown to play Aretha Franklin, but I'm not the majority and in the end, and I've said this time and time again, it all boils down to $$$$. 

Toure' also mentioned wanting to see a Marvin Gaye biopic...They wait too long, anyone who was even remotely feasible will be too old to play the part (I wanted Jesse L. Martin for this so badly...I think this will go down the same road that the Hendrix picture Laurence Fishburne was supposed to be in did, and that's a shame.) 

I'm curious to see what happens with the Tupac film bio too.  I remember Anthony Mackie playing him in Notorious.  He did a fantastic job...People either seem to really love Notorious or really hate it from what I've seen...Again, this is another project I'm definitely going following.  I do have Tupac's book of poetry...My favorite film of his is Gridlock'd. 

This subject seems to come up every few months, maybe I could make it part of a regular update or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment